Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Revolutionary Road


I picked up a copy of this earlier in the year when the film first came out in theaters. I'm a big believer in reading the book before seeing the movie... I know I'll want to read the book eventually, and I don't want the plot to be spoiled!

I truly enjoyed the book. I think Richard Yates was a gifted writer with a keen eye for the often tragically beautiful American psychological landscape. The book had overtones of Mad Men, which is one of my favorite shows (this blog, entirely devoted to the AMC golden child, is a daily read). However, it seems that Matt Weiner, Mad Men's creator had never heard of the book.

Unfortuneately, the movie just didn't do it for me. I loved the actors (how could anyone not adore seeing Kate and Leo reunited in a cute white clapboard house in the NYC suburbs?) but it didn't capture the spirit of the book. Also, I think the producers of Mad Men are correct in playing up the glamour of the era as they focus on the serious issues. A lot of that mystique went by the wayside in the film. Not much to say other than that if you didn't enjoy the movie or haven't seen it, I encourage you to turn to the book instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment